Land mobile phone systems (LMRS) are also known as Public land mobile phone radio or private land mobile radio, is the wireless telecommunication method intended for use by terrestrial customers in vehicles (mobiles) or while walking (portables). Examples of these are two-way radios in automobiles. This kind of system is utilized by First responder associations such as fire services, law enforcement, ambulance services, public organizations, dispatch service providers such as taxis, or companies with big trucking fleets. Such a system may be independent, but frequently linked to other repair systems such as public telephone system (PSTN) or cell systems.
What is LMR System?
LMR system is terrestrially-dependent, wireless communication system generally utilized by federal government, state, locals, tribal, along with territorial emergency responders, public businesses, as well as military services to support voice and low-speed information transfer.
LMR technique usually consists of handheld transportable radios, mobile radios, the base stations, active network, and repeaters.
- Handheld transportable radios are maintained by general public security personnel and they have the restricted transmission capacity.
- Mobile phone radios can be found in automobiles and they use power supply of vehicle along with bigger antenna, providing greater transmission than portable radio.
- These base station devices or radios are situated in fixed place, such as public safety answering points or dispatch centers, and they also possess the most powerful transmitters.
- It is required for connecting different stations with the same telecommunication system.
- Repeaters are used to improve the efficiency of communication of handheld portable radio, mobile phone radio, as well as base station radio by re-transmitting the received radio signal
Why LMR system is so important?
LMR system is the most effective means of voice communication among general public security staff. LMR techniques are developed to meet the unique needs of general public safety, and provide safer, reliable, and emergency voice communication in variety of surroundings, scenarios, and critical situations.
LMR technology is enhanced to provide the mission critical attributes. Over the years, LMR technique has advanced from standard, analogue voice service (e.g., two-way communication) to complicated systems integrating electronic and trunking facilities that allow features such as fast speech call-setup, team-calling capabilities, higher-quality sound along with it ensures priority access for the end users.
Apart from voice communication, numerous tasks today need broadband internet services. For example, first responders for public safety must access data intense programs, search the directories, or discuss using video clips. LTE technique allows faster data communications, which is not feasible with present LMR system. Improved data services are the main component that makes LTE most viable option for Public Security.
LMR technique offer voice communication for mission critical situations, which are tailored to public safety needs. Whilst there is the need of new technology to support present telecommunication system, todays LMR abilities will exist till some other system offer the same reliability which LMR offers.